It was bound to happen given the earnest nature of the initial Toni Collette effort.
A bit cheeky, but fun for a tactical moment.
The bank is now investigating whether the parody breaches its intellectual property rights. You would not want to get into a legal battle with these billionaire bankers.
Clearly Commbank spotted this parody very quickly, unlike it’s appalling and “unapproved” Backpack Bomb hoax ad that aired on-line for the Olympics.
The parody has now been removed courtesy of Commbank.
- James Magnussen and CommBank Can / Can’t, versus NAB honesty push (sullieseverything.wordpress.com)
- Bank pulls Olympic ad after terror joke (news.com.au)
- Backpack bomb hoax features in new CommBank Olympics promo (mumbrella.com.au)
- Not laughing along (news.ninemsn.com.au)
- CommBank apologises for Olympic backpack bomb hoax ad (mumbrella.com.au)
- Sportsbet and CommBank go to war over ‘Can’ parody (mumbrella.com.au)